Would you like to make your salad really sing? One of our ace-in-the-hole garnishes to add to a healthy salad are our Crispy Shallots. We know they’re a bit naughty — they are fried, after all! But a little sprinkle is all you need to feel indulgent. They’re bang for the buck: a little sprinkle goes a long, long way.
You can purchase Crispy Shallots (or Fried Onions) pre-made, but they’re so much better made and served fresh. Like French fries…potato sticks don’t hold a candle to the real thing. Here, we’ll show you how to make crispy shallots that are perfect for sprinkling…take your salad over the top! They are the perfect garnish for our Seaweed Superfood Salad.
Making these delicious crunchy little treats is pretty easy:
- Peel and slice the shallots as thinly as you can
- Coat them in flour: but first, season your flour with plenty of salt and pepper. Don’t be shy! If you are gluten-free, use rice flour or gluten-free flour.
- Choose a good oil for frying. How about grapeseed or coconut oil? Both can withstand high temperatures and are healthier than peanut or corn oils.
- Get your oil to the right temperature: test it by tossing in a coated shallot or two. It should sizzle when it hits the oil, but not burn. Adjust the heat accordingly.
- Remove the shallots with a slotted spoon, and drain them for a second or two before cooling on paper towels).
2 tablespoons flour (use gluten-free flour or rice flour if you wish)
salt and pepper
1 cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
Peel and slice the shallots into thin rings.
Mix the flour with plenty of salt and pepper, and coat each shallot in the mixture.
In a small pot or pan, heat the oil until sizzling. Add the shallots and fry until crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Drain and blot any excess oil using paper towels. Use immediately for maximum crispiness!
You can store these in a sealed container, but they're best eaten fresh.